Today’s bake is Oatmeal Crunchies. They are The Husband’s favorite cookie, and the recipe is from my MiL (naturally). They are simple to make, so they are a great start to the month’s baking. They are light, full of butterscotch flavor, and well, crunchy. They are the kind of cookie you will have to have one of every time you walk by the cookie jar. They won’t be around long, but I don’t mind making another batch.
1/2 cup shortening (I use Spectrum Organic All-Veg Shortening, but any all- veg should work)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup quick cooking rolled oatmeal
- In a stand mixer (or use a large bowl and a handheld mixer), cream the shortening and sugars together until they are fluffy. Add the egg, and continue to beat until mixture is light and fluffy again.
- In a medium bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together well. Stir in the oatmeal until it is well mixed in with the rest of the dry ingredients.
- Add the dry ingredients to the sugar mixture and mix until thoroughly blended with no dry pockets of flour. The dough will be little sticky, but still easy to work with. If it’s giving you a hard time, add flour a tablespoon at a time until you can roll a small piece into a ball. Too much flour will make them heavier and not as crunchy.
- Put a little granulated sugar in a little bowl, and start rolling 1-inch balls of dough, dipping the tops into the sugar, and placing them sugar side up on a ungreased cookie sheet about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, until dark golden brown and crackly on top. Let rest on cookie sheet for a minute then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Depending on how big you make them, you will get between 3-4 dozen cookies.