This recipe features MOLA Foods‘ Sri-Lankan Inspired Seasoning Blend, and while traditionally served with rice, it is also great with a piece of firm whitefish, like halibut or cod.
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1 medium onion
- 8 ounces portobello mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon MOLA Sri-Lankan Inspired Blend
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
- Cook the red lentils as the package directs, until they are tender. Remove from the heat and cover to keep warm.
- While the lentils are cooking, peel and trim the onion, cut it in half root-to-stem, then lay flat side down and thinly slice root-to-stem.
- Clean and trim the stems of the mushrooms. Slice into 1/2-inch slices, then chop into bite-sized pieces.
- Heat the oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Add the Sri-Lankan Blend, stir it into the oil, and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the onions and mushrooms to the pan. Stir to coat evenly, lower the heat to medium-low, and cook, stirring and scraping the pan frequently to prevent burning, until they are soft and browned.
- Add the lentils and 1/2 cup cooking liquid to the pan, and stir and scrape the bottom of the pan to loosen all the browned bits, and blend everything evenly. Stir in the salt. Remove from the heat.
- Top with the cilantro.
Serve with rice.