Here’s another recipe using one of Mola’s seasoning blends. While I chose the Ethiopian-Inspired Blend, it would work well with almost any of Mola’s blends. If you like things really spicy, garnish with one of Mola’s Chili Relishes. (This is an excellent time for you to jump over to Mola’s website and see what they have on offer. 😉 )
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons MOLA Ethiopian-Inspired Blend
- 5 ounces baby kale
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained
- 1 quart chicken or vegetarian broth
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Heat the olive oil in a Dutch oven or soup pot over medium heat until it’s shimmering. Add the onions, carrots, and celery to the pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are softened and lightly browned.
- Add the garlic, ginger, tomato paste, and Ethiopian-Inspired Blend to the pot, and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture is fragrant and darkened, about 1 minute.
- Stir in the baby kale, chickpeas, and broth, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender, and the kale is wilted.
- Remove the pot from the heat, and stir in the lemon juice. Serve with your favorite flatbread. Serves 4.
If you try out this recipe, please consider donating to one of the food insecurity organizations at the link below: