- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup frozen chopped onions
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dried basil
- 1 tablespoon jarred minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 1 x 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 x 14-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
- 8 ounces frozen pepper strips, or chopped peppers
- 1 x 4-ounce can mushrooms, drained
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
***Measure out all your ingredients before you start cooking. You will be a calmer, more focused cook. (This is also known as “mise en place”.)***
- Heat the olive oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat until it is shimmering.
- Add the onions, basil, garlic, oregano, paprika, and red pepper flakes to the skillet, and cook for 2 minutes, stirring to prevent the mixture from burning.
- Add both kinds of tomatoes, peppers, and mushrooms to the skillet, stir to combine, and bring to a simmer (small, frequent bubbles). Adjust the heat as needed to maintain a simmer, and cook for 15-20 minutes, stirring frequently, until the sauce is thickened a bit, and the herbs have softened and released their aromas.
- Season with salt and pepper and taste. Add a bit more salt and/or pepper if you like. Remove from heat. Serve over hot pasta or polenta.